What is the role?
As a Ward Support Volunteer you will provide an important link between our staff, patients and visitors, assisting with the smooth running of our In-Patient Unit (IPU). Each day is different, so the support you provide may change from shift to shift.
You will check-in with a nominated Ward Buddy, who will be there to answer any queries, and advise you of the tasks for that day.
What will I be doing?
- Answering call bells and escalating patient requests to the appropriate member of staff
- Light touch emotional support e.g. chatting, listening, reading to patients and companionship if desired
- Offering and making drinks for patients and their visitors
- Help us to gather patient experience feedback
Welcoming patients and visitors
- Respond to the reception intercom if required
- Advise visitors of any current hand-hygiene/PPE requirements
- Greeting new visitors and patients on arrival, and escort them through to the ward
- Assisting new patients to settle in and acclimatise to their new surroundings
- Answering the ward office telephone, responding to basic queries, taking clear messages and ensuring they are passed on to the appropriate member of staff
Supporting staff on the ward
- Attend check-in with Ward Buddy at start of shift to discuss current patients, and requirements
- Preparing trays/trolleys and take to patient rooms at mealtimes
- Clearing crockery away after meals, and loading dishwasher
- Assisting staff with any light practical tasks required, such as making beds, refreshing flowers etc..
- Meeting Ward Buddy at end of shift to debrief, and advise of any patient concerns