For me, volunteering is special; no amount of money can re-create the feeling of doing something for someone else. Everyone should have a go at volunteering; it's the perfect way to get involved. Chris Farrell
We have over 900 people supporting us in a wide variety of ways from working in our shops, helping our fundraising team or working in the Hospice - either in the reception area, our offices or directly
supporting patients. We also have a team of volunteers who provide practical help to people living at home with a life-limiting illness. Without volunteers the Hospice simply could not offer the level of care
that we provide.
Last year our volunteers donated over 100,000 hours of their time, which, if paid at a minimum salary, would have cost the Hospice approximately £1million.
Why volunteer for St Michael's Hospice?
Most of us know that volunteering is a good thing. There is so much more to be gained than just feeling good. Volunteering:
- can help to increase your confidence
- can help you to use existing skills and develop new ones
- can put structure into your week and uses time purposefully
- can help you create useful contacts, make great friends and improve your social life
- can help you gain useful experience towards further training and career choices
enables you to be a valued member of a team
- adds variety and balance to your CV. Did you know 1 in 5 managers recruit someone because of their volunteer experiences?
All this, while enjoying a worthwhile and rewarding role, contributing to the quality of our patients’ care. Feel valued and even... HAVE FUN!
How do I get involved?
Step 1: Get in touch with our Voluntary Services team on 01424 445177, or email us
Step 2: Complete and return your application form
Step 3: Once your referees have been contacted, come in for an informal chat to see which role may suit you
Attend the Hospice Introduction Day and find out how it all works. For some voluntary roles it is necessary to obtain a Disclosure Certificate from the Disclosure and Barring Service but this will be discussed during the first meeting.
Get in touch with Voluntary Services
For more information on becoming a volunteer please contact 01424 445177 or email us.